Sunday, January 16, 2011

starting over

So I've run into some trouble with Steampunk Swordsman(project name, not final name). I started writting the engine and found that all of the GML language that I have to work with for this type of game has nearly nothing in common with what I learned doing the top down stuff I was doing before. So I'm basicaly completley starting over as a beginner with the scripting. Which sucks, I'm slowly getting it figured out, but it still is a pain.

The only thing that helps is that I organize my code much better so I'm able to read and edit my code without having to re-figure out what everything is doing. Helps with the process of sculpting out the code blocks.

So after a little work on that I took a break and tried working on some art, which lead to the billionth time realizing that I can't draw worth shit. I have visuals in my head of what I want, but they are limited to vague and stylized representations that I can't focus clear enough to be able to put down on paper, but with a strange building up process I ended up with a silhouette that I'm going to try and keep working at.

It's tiny I know*. Its at 100% zoom so that would be in game size. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with 32x32 or if i need to graduate up to 64x64. The extra pixels are good for detail but all the extra freedom makes it a lot harder for me to draw. I'm good with basic shape so single pixels are easy to work with. Plus 32x32 may just be too hard to see, even with a stylized far away camera view.



Anyways, I have story figured out more, so that helps in the process some. I just wish I was talented as I am creative. This would all be so much easier.

Lots of days off work ahead of me and nothing planned to take me away from this spot, so hopefully I'll have more of an update in the near future.



*thats what she said

No comments:

Post a Comment