Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What I want to be when I grow up...

This is video is probably the best way for me to describe why it is I want to dedicate my life to these simple, yet, amazing creations. 

Most people see a video game and they see mindless violence, flashing lights with loud music, or just a way to pass some time in between work, or school, or whatever it is you fill your schedule with...


I've never been much of a reader, and even a good movie can lose my interest at times, but playing a video game is something completely different. 

If the developer has done his job right, you should be right there with your electronic representation, fighting for your life(or at least just that high score).You should be emotionally invested in the things you are interacting with, and you should care about the outcome.

You become part of the world.

You're the one making the decisions that the final outcome of the story.

The combined logic and twisted creativity it takes to do this is the only thing I've ever found to truly fits my brain. It's the only thing that I feel like I can become more than just mediocre at.

Anyone that has known me for any length of time knows I'm the last one to stick to much for very long. I've spent a lot of time doing a little of everything, and never really excelling at any of it.

...but I was practically born with an old-school Nintendo brick in my hands, and 20 years later, after years of art, music, science, electronics, aquariums, books, and everything else I've dedicated any amount of time too.

I think I actually feel confident enough in finally truly saying that this is what I want to do with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment